Thursday, July 21, 2016

Playing Hooky

6 July 2016

On the East Coast they have snow days; in the cloud forest we have rain days. I have to admit that when I wake up in the wee hours of the morning to the sound of rain, not only do I enjoy the sound but I take great pleasure in the thought that if the rain lasts long enough, I can sleep in late! ;) Which has happened the last 2 days. It’s rained in the early hours of the morning, so instead of getting out at 4am, we have been heading out at 5am or 6am.

Clouds rolling in

But not today! It rained from about 2am until 8am – even during Houston’s 6 month rainy season I’ve never seen it rain this long! (Though the thunder & lightning storms in Houston are a sight to see that I sorely miss.) So the devious part of me smiled & snuggled deeper into my sleeping bag, for I knew as long as it was raining, I didn’t have to wake up. ;P I rolled out of bed around 9am to find Mario pacing the room & looking out the window. He had already decided that we would just flip our dia descanso from tomorrow to today. Today was supposed to be our 3rd & final day at the current site, which would only be a half day anyway. So there’s no love lost in skipping it, as no one really likes heading down into the (treacherous) canyon anyway. So we’ve put off the inevitable for one more day.
Epiphytes

Time for some laundry & a day of reading.


Caterpillar
Tiny grasshopper

The farmer next door (who owns Loki – little rug rat stole another sock & a bandana that I now can’t find…I think it’s under the farmer’s house) recently celebrated his new daughter’s baptism this week. He was kind enough to bring over some left over cake & pork chops for us. MEAT! I was so excited to have pork chops!! Sadly, what constituted a pork chop was very little meat & a LOT of thick, rubbery fat, which I had a hard time finishing. But the sentiment was nice & the cake was tasty. I’ll just have to wait to sink my teeth into some carne when I’m back in civilization, which is only a week away!!

Conejito

No comments:

Post a Comment