Thursday, July 21, 2016

A Day of Rest

4 July 2016

Needless to say, I didn’t think I’d be able to make the trek again on my sore knee to fulfill a day of mist netting. So when Mario got up at 4am to make breakfast, I apologized that I was going to need to take the day off & let my knee rest. It was hard to bend it at all & putting my full weight on it or trying to lift it, as in taking a step up, was pretty painful as well. He was kind about it & told me not to worry, although I felt completely foolish (for having fallen in the first place) for getting myself hurt & not participating as a team member. But I didn’t want to make it worse.




So I took the day off & slept in late, read some & did laundry. Hopefully more successfully this time, as I took a good 45 minutes with a hearty bar of soap to scrub the muck out of my clothes & used up an obscene amount of water (CA drought guilt) in the process to try & get everything clean. I ended up spending most of the day trying to figure out what to cook with the supplies on hand. I went through almost an entire bag of flour trying to haphazardly make tortillas, naan & roti – none of which turned out edible due to lacking ingredients. 


 
I came to the conclusion that the most decent thing I could do for the others was to having dinner ready for them when they got back. It turned out to be a very rainy day – pouring on & off all through the afternoon (kind of glad I wasn’t there, as it would have been miserable w/very little bird action). It was no surprise when they showed up a little earlier than normal (seeing as how birds won’t fly in the rain, it turned out to be a very slow day for them), draped in ponchos & dripping wet. Fortunately, I had some hot chocolate waiting for them, which they were pleased about, & had decided to prepare a version of veggie burgers from some left over lentils & rice we had, along with some fried potatoes. Seriously though, I could do a lot more if they just had a decent collection of spices & sauces around!



No comments:

Post a Comment