Thursday, July 21, 2016

Feeling a Bit More Relaxed

2 July 2016

Unfortunately, I didn’t get to sleep in too late today, thanks to the rooster & everyone else getting up around 4am. It appears almost no one got sleep as the mosquitoes were pretty vicious during the night. Thanks to my mosquito net, I didn’t suffer as the others did, but my feet did get eaten up by something that was either in my socks or in my sleeping bag, I’m not sure which, never found the culprit. The bug situation here is pretty horrific; I could be a one-person entomological study with all the critters that have parasitized my body.

Female Green-and-black fruiteater

Male Green-and-black fruiteater

I was able to go back to sleep for a little bit once everyone left at 5am, but Loki had other ideas, sneaking in just after 7am & trying to steal socks again. (The farmer seriously needs to get that poor pup some toys!) I got the data entered & tried my hand at using the pressure cooker with the beans. (I threw away 2 bags of beans before I found one I could use, as I realized while rinsing them that the little black bugs I assumed had just fallen into my lunch on previous days were actually weevils devouring the bags of beans from the inside out.) I overcooked them a bit though & they came out more like bland refried beans. I dumped a bunch of salt, pepper, oregano & garlic powder in them – whatever I could find to add some seasoning (what I wouldn’t give for some Salsa Lizano!). I trudged up the mountain & delivered my first cooked meal to the group, a little terrified of how it would come out. I shouldn’t have worried though – since they cover everything in mayonnaise, including the cabbage & carrot salad I made – I don’t think they noticed the lack of flavor. They did notice the refried bean consistency, which I was surprised they were happy about. They said it reminded them of Mexican food, which they said is not a common cuisine in this part of Colombia (so now I understand why nachos is the price for 400 birds). So of course the conversation immediately turned to all the Mexican dishes they wished they were eating. For once a conversation I am knowledgeable about & can actually contribute to!! (It also helps that the food names are already in Spanish ;P 

Scarab beetle

Huge moth

I was disappointed to learn that the one morning I don’t arrive at camp first thing in the morning they caught bats in the nets!! Ugh, sooo disappointing not to get to see them. :( There was one bat still hanging around, though; it had made a tent out of some large leaves near camp & was huddled under its makeshift shelter against the cold. Poor thing. It was sleeping with its wings over its face for warmth, so I had no idea what species it was.

Sleeping Bat


By the end of the day, I was in a pretty good mood. It’s been a little over a week since I started working here. I have to admit, the first week was rough & my Spanish comprehension skills are still rather lacking, but I do feel a little more settled & comfortable with the experience (rustic living conditions aside). I’ve got the bird thing down & am starting to learn to recognize different species names. I know what I’m doing in the field & I’m enjoying it immensely. The birds (while terrified & fighting you beak & rapter-like-nail) are so cute & soft! We all talk to them as if they were pets; it’s kind of ridiculous, but it’s a lot of fun & the animals are really cool – such diversity, it’s amazing! And I love being in the forest, even though it’s cold & muddy, it’s an incredibly beautiful place! I feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to be here.

Chestnut-breasted wren nest

Chestnut-breasted wren eggs

Mario installing camera trap @ nest


No comments:

Post a Comment