Thursday, July 21, 2016

Dia Descanso

30 June 2016


The phrase “day off” is very confusing to my Colombian counterparts. They tell me there’s no such thing as a “day on”, so why do we call it “day off’ in English? To them, the literal translation seems very weird; they prefer to call it “dia descanso” or day of rest, which I suppose does make more sense. Whatever you want to call it, I was surprised that we get an entire day off – again, not much is explained until it happens & I ask questions. ;P There’s honestly not too much to do around here. We’re a 3 hour walk from the nearest town, which itself is very small. I already showered & did laundry yesterday, so what to do? I read a lot, napped some, bird watched some, went on a short walk to a nearby lookout over the valley of Cali, played with Loki (until his habit of bite-playing gets to be too much – he’s an adorable 4 month old puppy, looks like a little white rabbit bouncing around, but doesn’t quite yet know how to play nicely)…it was a slow day. Looks like we’ll have every Thursday off: 6 days on (covering 2 sites, 3 days each), then 1 day off. I miss movies & tv very much right now ;)

Loki
Clouds rolling in over the Cauca Valley

View of the farm from ridge above the farm

Clouds above the cloud forest

No comments:

Post a Comment