Monday, July 18, 2016

Cleaning Day

28 June 2016

 
I’ve decided laundry needs to be done more than once a week because I get beyond filthy: slipping in the mud, wiping dead bugs on my pants, having birds poop on me & sweating under 3 layers of insulation & insect repellant (Nick would not be able to stand my presence right now). Plus I only have 2 pairs of pants, so every 3 days (when we shift sites & come back a little early) has become my shower & laundry day. I’ve learned it takes about 3 days for clothes to dry in this weather, so I suppose that works out. (I’ve also learned that I cannot leave my clothes out to dry too low to the ground, as the neighboring farmer’s puppy, Loki, who comes in & out of our cabin has taken 2 of my socks as chew toys…only one of which has so far been found.) Although with just an outdoor sink & some Dr. Bronner’s, my clothes still smell pretty raunchy even when they’re “clean” & dry. I will most likely need to find a laundromat in Cali to thoroughly wash my clothes before Nick joins me for vacation ;)



Showers are FREEZING cold, as the water comes straight down the mountain, but it does feel good to be bathed afterwards…even if I am stepping into smelly clothes again :P I feel comfortable enough to help with food prep now, although I always leave it up to them as to what to make, since they’re more familiar with what to do with the limited food supplies & make the most of it. But I’m capable of prepping vegetables or frying stuff up, so at least I’m contributing somewhat ;) Other than that, I try to make sure I work on the day’s data entry while they do the bulk of the cooking (especially since dinner & next day’s lunch are made at the same time) & then I wash up afterwards, so hopefully it’s a far contribution.



Tonight’s dinner was a true “only at camp” kind of thing – something no mother would approve: popcorn & arroz con leche (made powdered milk but not bad). :)




No comments:

Post a Comment