Friday, July 22, 2016

Al Fin

14 July 2016

I had a very hard time going to sleep last night. I think I just had so much running through my head (an uncomfortable belly filled with pork) & an unexpected feeling of awkwardness coming back into civilization. I really wasn’t expecting that, considering it was only 3 weeks. There’s also a little bit of sadness that the field work is over for me now & I’ll be heading back to “reality” soon. Though I realize all vacations end like that & I’m not dreading going back home by any means, just trying to process stuff, I suppose.

Black-billed peppershrike

Black-billed peppershrike

Female White-sided flowerpiercer
 
Female Green-and-black fruiteater

I will miss the birds, the cloud forest, Tatiana’s arepas, & Loki a little bit too ;) I will NOT miss the damn rooster, being awake before 7am, freezing cold water, biting insects, scrambled eggs or cold rice & beans. I’m really looking forward to fresh vegetables, hot water & sleeping in late (!), a washing machine, never eating eggs again, warm weather & dry socks! :)

Streak-necked flycatcher

These were my favorite & I will miss them

I had to laugh at myself that my body woke itself up around 4am today, regardless of the fact that I didn’t need to – but was thankful that I was able to go back to sleep for a full, glorious 10 hours of sleep last night! Now I need to shower, charge my stuff, grab some food, & head to the airport in order to meet Nick in Bogotá tonight, followed by a quick week-long vacation in Colombia together. But not before playing for a while the adorable new addition to the hostel!!




Watch out Nick, this is gonna be our lives VERY soon!!!! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment