Sunday, June 19, 2016

Primeras Impresiones

19 June 2016

Trying to sleep on a plane sucks but red eyes help you not waste a day traveling, right? Ugh, saying goodbye to Nick was harder than I thought. I keep telling myself it’s only 6 weeks, not 6 months…wouldn’t this get easier over (less) time? But while I’m very sad to leave him for the summer, this is something I need and want to do for myself and it’s about fucking time that I did. So thanks for the support, amor ;)

I arrived in Cali and immediately realized that this a city undergoing transformation. The airport is small and a good portion of it is all under construction – as is a lot of the city. From what I understand, after the cartels and the FARC had their way with the city from the 80s-90s, Cali started to build itself back up around 2010 as the country’s 3rd largest city & a growing economic metropolis. It has been pointed out to me by several people I just met that Cali is the country’s sports capital & the world capital of salsa. (Hopefully I’ll get to take in a show or peak my head into a studio).

Iglesia de San Antonio
                                           
Parque San Antotnio

Cali is also known for its birding, thanks to near by Farallones

I can't wait to see some of these birds in real life!

View of Cali from Parque San Antonio

Cerro de las Tres Cruces

Garden median down the sidewalk

Getting my bird watching started already!

I didn’t think I would have much time to see Cali, as I only had plans to stay a single night, but plans change and I am not able to get to Parque Nacional Natural Farallones de Cali (I’m just gonna call it Farallones from now on) for another few days. However, having arrived on a Sunday afternoon, almost everything is closed. So after a brief nap and vigorously studying the city map so I don’t look the fool walking around with my nose in a fold out hotel map (thanks for helping me download the Cali map, Tico!), I wandered around the San Antonio neighborhood. I was told this is a very old, colonial part of town but it seems to have been renovated over the years and doesn’t really seem like much of a barrio antiguo – pretty much looks like every other normal Latin American neighborhood with some Spanish colonial style to it. But still a very pretty neighborhood with winding tree-lined streets, some colorful buildings with creeping bougainvilleas and artistic ironworks, alongside a river that runs through the city. I haven’t traveled solo since I was in college, so it’s a bit lonely without Nick to talk to, point things out to, or force to stop at any delicious food stand I so desire ;) But it’s only day one & I’ll make do :)

Sidewalk tree planter

Río Cali looking east

Río Cali looking west

Random park known as the River Cat Park...maybe there used to be lots of feral cats here?

Parque del Gato statues

Parque del Gato statues

Parque del Gato statues

Parque del Gato statues

Parque del Gato statues

This is my favorite ;)

Parque del Gato statues

Parque del Gato statues

I only walked around for a few hours before heading back to the hostel with some empanadas para llevar for dinner…as I’m told walking around at night is not a smart option for solo female tourists. Which means nights will be kind of boring unless I join my hostel-mates in their activities. So far, watching a basketball game, smoking a bowl, & playing an acoustic guitar don’t seem very appealing. Netflix it is!!

Cali graffiti 

Cali graffiti 

Glass mosaic doorway

Pretty street corner

La primera cena

2 comments:

  1. I have heard good things about Cali in the last few years. It looks beautiful. I know what you mean about traveling solo. It is a different experience. You see things just with your own eyes instead of "Hey! Look at that! What do you think?" I also tend to talk to myself a lot.
    And of course I loved the parque del gatos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I thought of you in the park, of course ;)

      Delete