Saturday, June 18, 2016

Buen Viaje

Here we go!

I'm heading down to Cali, Colombia today to start a six-week volunteer project with the University of British Colombia (the Canada kind) to study tropical bird ecology in Farallones de Cali National Park. We will be mist-netting (humanely capturing) different species of birds and assessing the status of their populations at different elevations within the forest. You can learn a little but more about the project here.

(Wikimedia Commons)

I'm not quite sure what the day-to-day will be like but I'm excited to get back out in the field assisting with wildlife conservation projects (one that won't be as remote this time & surrounded by tropical forest!). Internet access will be intermittent, so I'm not sure how much of this blog will be accessible over the summer. But I'll do my best. :)

If it doesn't work out, I'll see ya in mid-August! ;)


2 comments:

  1. Hey Catherine, glad to see you are back in the field (and in Colombia!) I have a few friends in the area who would probably be happy to have you hang out with them - let me know if you wander back into Cali. Be safe, and I look forward to your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lisa, I keep thinking of your cautionary tale about taxis! ;) I'm stuck n Cali for a few days, so yeah, if you know people, I'd love to meet up with them :)

      Delete