Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Caliente, indeed

21 June 2016

The heat has been pretty stifling but it’s rained a couple times the last few days & that helps cool things off for a while. (I forgot how excruciating a cold shower is at first & then how quickly it turns into something so exquisitely refreshing in 90 degree heat.) It’s been so nice to hear the sound of heavy rain on the roof & thunder in the distance. I haven’t heard it in so long! The air smells so much sweeter after the rain & all the old grannies are outside in the streets, seated in their plastic chairs, chatting through the night once it cools off. It’s great. I miss rain storms.

The picture doesn't do it justice but this was about a 2 hour rainstorm that woke me up in the middle of the night.

As I said, I’ve walked around a lot. Cali is a very pretty town (at least the safe parts I’ve been told are okay to walk around in alone). Some colonial Spanish style buildings and central plazas with fairly modest churches. There’s quite a lot of murals around town, which is cool. I think after the drug wars a couple decades ago & the current economic boom it’s having, the city is trying to rebuild itself & I just so happen to be staying in a very trendy, artistic part of town. Not very touristy, though – or maybe I just came in the off season. There are quite a lot of hostels around but I have really only seen 2 other white couples roaming around, & a couple European guys who are staying at my same hostel; not very many international travelers around, or at least not at the moment. 

Me atop Parque San Antionio

Catedral de San Pedro

Catedral de San Pedro

Convento de las Mercedes

Iglesia de San Francisco

Iglesia La Ermita

Iglesia La Ermita

Palacio Nacional & Edeficio Otero

Plaza Caicedo

Teatro Nacional

Speaking of which, I really have to recommend the Kingbird Hostel. The owner has been very understanding about changing my reservations several times. He’s worked with his research group before – he himself loves birds & has beautiful tropical bird paintings all over the hostel. He’s been very friendly & helpful as far as what to do while I’m waiting around. He even gave me his rubber boots (for hiking in the rain forest) when I couldn’t find any at the central market to buy for myself. I know globalization has its problems, but I would really appreciate a Home Depot around here ;P So if you ever find yourself in Cali & don’t mind a stiff bunk bed or a shared bathroom, I highly recommend this place ;)








So now it’s Tuesday night & I find myself sitting alone in the hostel watching Argentina trounce the U.S. in the Copa America semi-finals. It started out with me & the rest of the hostel staff…but after the 3-0 lead, they all left to go get something to eat, no longer interested in a game who’s outcome was already set. Their loss: Messi just made an AMAZING assist for the 4th & final goal ;) Should be fun to watch the Colombia match tomorrow night in Colombia…since I assume I will still here to do so :P (I look forward to Colombia defeating Chile!) ;)

Clearly this town is ready for Colombia to make it to the finals!

2 comments:

  1. Love the murals! Such beautiful color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cali (or at least the part I was in) was a very bohemian, artsy fartsy part of town. I enjoyed walking around & seeing all the murals.

      Delete